Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Almond Cookie Recipe: A sweet little treat


I have been in the mood for Asian food lately. Be it the tangy orange chicken stir fry I shared with you last week or the shrimp Tai noodles I am planning on making for dinner tonight. I have been craving the tangy goodness of these dishes and have decided that I needed a dessert that would complement them, something simple and sweet. While preparing my dinner last week I took a peek in my pantry and discovered I had everything I needed on hand to whip up some almond cookies. So I did!

Almond Cookie Recipe, A quick and easy dessert.

What You Need:
1 cup Crisco shortening
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar {an additional 2 tablespoons of sugar for rolling the dough}
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons almond slivers {topping}

How to Make It:
In a bowl mix the Crisco, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy.
Mix in the egg, almond extract, baking powder, and salt.
Slowly add in the flour.
Once it is completely mixed you may form small 1 inch balls.
Roll the cookie dough balls in the remaining 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.
Use a glass and smush {yes that is my technical term – smush} down the cookie dough balls.
Top it with almond slivers.
Bake at 350° for 12 minutes – or until edges have turned golden.
Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.


Almond Cookie Recipe, A quick and easy dessert. #Tutorial #Recipe

Almond Cookie Recipe, A quick and easy dessert. #Tutorial #Recipe

Almond Cookie Recipe, A quick and easy dessert. #Tutorial #Recipe

I love these cookies. They are simple and not too sweet. They complement the spicy tangy Asian food that I have been craving and are a great way to finish off a meal. The almond slivers on top have a tendency to fall off, even when pressed down into the cookie dough. I still enjoy them though. Maybe next time I will chop up some almonds and add it to the dough and see how that turns out.


This recipe is linked up at Delicious Dish Tuesday and Friday Food Frenzy:

Do you have a favorite cookie?


Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...